Welcome to my blog

This is my journey back into education at 42. Going back to a point when I was 16 and had aspirations to go to art college. After years of being too absorbed with work and kids to do little more than knitting baby clothes and sewing cross stitch kits I have found myself with time on my hands and access to a wonderful group of talented and supportive embroiders and quilters.
I will talk about and show the textile/fibre art techniques that I test and the story of how I struggle to rekindle my creative self and put together my hand and machine embroidery collections.
Most importantly I will wax lyrical about the brilliant fabric and textile art shop that I study at called ZIGZAGS in Newport and its gorgeous owners Ann and Tori.

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Badge of Honor!

Well I finally did it! I've sewn through my finger with the sewing machine. Ouch. Luckily it only stabbed the nail, it's quite sore but doesn't look too bad. Serves me right for taking the foot off the machine so I could get into an awkward spot then shoving my finger in there to hold down the fabric. I'm trying to make some extremely padded quilting by sewing little pads and tubes of muslin stuffed with wool fibre onto pelmet vilene. It looks like a medical experiment at the moment!

This is Tori patiently cutting out letters from freezer paper to use as stencils for the sign going up in the window of Zigzags to advertise their birthday on 27 August from 10 till 5. We're working on some imaginative ways to make the day super special.

I've nearly finished the quilting samples and can finally look at the chenille sample without getting an overwhelming urge to just bin the blasted thing. It's just so flat, so flat and so dull. So I added a few lines of stitch to hold down the layers and then took a fork to it and ruffled the life out of it, good stress relief!!! Still not really happy but I need to leave it for a while so I don't over stitch it.

I have a big thank you to send to Tori who spotted these suitcases outside the excellent charity shop next door. Cost me £8 in total, a total bargain. They will probably feature in my presentation before becoming part of Mani the Campervans restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment